Why Choose Cloth Nappies?
For some parents choosing the right nappies to suit their precious baby is a no brainer. For others, it is a process and a chance to weigh up a multitude of different factors, including sustainability, the environment, health and cost and convenience. With so many different aspects to consider, you might be wondering why you should choose reusable Designer Bums Modern Cloth Nappies, when there is such a huge range of widely available disposable nappies on supermarket shelves.
We have put together 5 great reasons why Designer Bums Premium Reusable Nappies could be the perfect choice for your family.
1. SUSTAINABILITY - The Earth is one of the few things that our children are guaranteed to inherit from us; it only makes sense to protect it while we raise them. Re-usable nappies are without a doubt the more sustainable and environmentally friendly choice, when compared to their disposable counterparts.
According to Sustainability Victoria, In Australia alone, an incredible 5.6 million disposable nappies end up in landfill each day, and are estimated to take at least 500 years to decompose, whilst releasing harmful chemicals into the environment. The environmental impact of disposables, however, stretches much further than just the large amount of landfill they take up.
The manufacture of one disposable nappy uses one cup of crude oil, a non-renewable energy source. The amount of water used to manufacture disposable nappies far exceeds the amount of water needed to launder cloth nappies. Even after taking into account the energy and water used to care for reusable cloth nappies, they are still a far more sustainable and environmentally friendly option than disposables.
2. FINANCIAL SAVINGS – The upfront cost of using Designer Bums Modern Cloth Nappies may seem like a daunting outlay, but trust us, reusables will save you money in the long run. The cost of a single cloth nappy can look a little expensive at first glance when compared to a single disposable. This is until you realise you will only need to buy about 30 of them, compared to over 5000 disposables you would have to buy to last the same distance until toilet training.
After taking into account the upfront costs of setting up a cloth nappy stash and the costs of laundering, using Designer Bums nappies can save you up to $2000 in nappy costs for your first child, and much, much more if you go on to use the same nappies on subsequent children.
3. CHEMICAL FREE – Designer Bums Reusable Nappies are the ideal non-toxic, nappy solution, ensuring healthy skin on your baby’s most sensitive areas. Disposable nappies are filled with many chemicals, from fragrances and substances that improve absorbency, through to others which are simply a part of the manufacturing process. These chemicals can cause skin irritation, allergies and in worst case scenarios burns. By using cloth nappies, you can take full control over what (if any) chemicals come into contact with your baby’s sensitive skin.
4. SELF-SUFFICIENCY – In a world of lockdowns and panic-buying, the COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the value of self-sufficiency in our modern world. By choosing Designer Bums reusable products, you become self-reliant and can have peace of mind that sell-outs of disposables caused by panic-buying frenzies will have no effect on you. By using cloth nappies, you will never need to inconveniently dash down to the shops because you are down to your last nappy (you will instead need to get that washing machine going!
5. STYLISH – Designer Bums nappies are beautifully trim fitting and come in a range of stylish designs. Our prints are all individually and uniquely designed especially for us by a team of artists, making each nappy, quite literally, wearable art. They look so incredibly cute poking out from underneath a dress or paired with a t-shirt, some people find they don’t even want to cover them up!